8/07/2014

The Conquest


The heatwave doesn't seem to have an end and I couldn't be happier! This black romper is my go to piece for the days I know I'm going to sweat like in a Finnish sauna. A hot red lip, heeled sandals and minty pop of colour transform it from the beach to the streets.












After examining the people around me, I've noticed an interesting pattern. We are often the most afraid about the very things we feel called to do. It's not always an insecurity, but a lot of times there's is some kind of mountain before our dreams that needs to be conquered. I don't think it's necessarily easier for anyone, even though our starting points vary. It does seem like a longer road from a poor and orphaned Cinderella compared to the possibilities a wealthy heir with a loving family might have, but it's more about the life lessons and tools a person has gained (or has been handed down) than the external circumstances. We all face similar battles, but it's about what we do with them that matters. Do we give up right from the beginning or do we have the perseverance to walk through the fire?

I've always loved music. It's not just a love for it, but it's what makes me feel alive. When I get to perform and sing, I feel like the puzzle of my life has found it's finishing piece. At some point though, I began to believe that music could only be a hobby and that I needed to get a "real job". It wasn't until my later teens that I realised that becoming a medical doctor wasn't my dream at all, but actually someone else's dream for me, and music was the only thing that made sense in my life. Breaking out of that pre-designed mold of what was expected wasn't easy and took time, but it was the first step towards the conquest of my mountain. After embracing my true passions the real journey began. All kinds of fears and insecurities raised their heads to take me down and I have prevailed over many of them but I've also felt like giving up more than once. Right now I'm probably somewhere half way to the peak. There's still a long way to the top, but I have fixed my eyes on that misty crown and I won't turn back anymore.

What I've learned through the process is that behind my biggest fears usually lie the biggest treasures. It's like someone tried to disguise them so that I wouldn't find all that's meant for me to obtain in this lifetime. Fear often masks our greatest strengths as weaknesses and it's our job to reveal the truth. That mountain is waiting to be conquered.



xxx



Photos by Adriana Dobrin
Romper: Santa Monica
Shoes: Aldo
Hat: H&M
Crossbody: San Diego






No comments:

Post a Comment