8/20/2014

Snake Pants And Tiger Stripes


I love prints and patterns. These snake pants are not only a wonderful change to the basic jeans but extremely comfortable as well. I pair them with sneakers to create my go to travel outfit, but adding these lace up heels turns them into the perfect going out attire. Comfortable and fabulous, all at the same time!




Crop tops have become my obsession. Especially since our weather is getting colder every day so soon I'll have to leave them in my closet, waiting for next summer. Unless I figure out a nice way to make them winter friendly…hints appreciated!







As I've shared before, I used to struggle with quite some insecurities when growing up. Insecurities are often a manifestation of an unmet need and for me it was a lack of affirmation, feeling valued and loved, just the way I was. I grew up believing that only perfect is acceptable, so of course I fell short of that standard and ended up in the cycle of never feeling like I was good enough. When that mold started to break and my wounds began to heal by real love touching my innermost being, it felt like scales coming off of my eyes. Observing our world and thinking that there's only one perfect way to live or look is absolutely crazy. It's like saying tigers are the only perfect animal and all other (millions and billions of) creatures are not as good (even though tigers are pretty freaking awesome). So slowly I learned to appreciate the features in me that were different from others. My funky chin, loud laugh, family nose, love for Marvel Comics, the sound of my voice… They were my uniquely coloured wings, my patterned tiger stripes that set me apart from anyone else.

As I grew in my confidence, I noticed how I wasn't the only one who had been held down by the chains of insecurity. Our nation is still very young and it's identity isn't really established yet. It's not too long since we had to defend our borders the last time and finding oneself's true calling and place in life has been a luxury, especially for the older generations who's minds have been on survival. Even though this new generation has grown in a free world without any memories of wars, the mindsets of the past have continued in the family lines and are at times still visible. The poverty mentality, that my success is away from yours, and fear of breaking out of the social (safe) norm can be experienced quite vividly. When I became comfortable in my own skin, I noticed how it offended people around me. My first reaction was to tone it down, try to fit in without standing out too much, until I had enough of that crap. Healthy humility is a must, but holding down your greatness, joy or success because of the fear of offending someone is just plain stupid. If you have been given something good and healthy, what's the point in hiding it? That would only keep everyone exactly where they have been their whole lives, guaranteed safe and secure. Being free of poverty mentality is to understand that there is enough for everyone. One's success is not a threat but it can actually be a inspiration to anyone following the same footsteps, an indicator that it is possible for everyone else as well! 

Like I said, it's crazy to think that there was only one mold that we all have to fit in. Instead, I'd like to encourage you to be bold in the search of who you are and finding your hearts desires. And when you get to where you want to be, when you find happiness, don't hide it or hold it down. Your success will be mine and everyone else's success as well.



xxx



Photos by the amazing Adriana Dobrin
Shirt: Urban Outfitters
Pants: Zara
Necklace: Samsøe & Samsøe
Heels: Steve Madden
Bag: Michael Kors

2 comments: