9/04/2014

In The Grey


I haven't been a fan of patterned tights before, but these hearty ones were too cute to pass on. They spike up any dress or skirt in no time.




An embellished top can be easily dressed up or down. I picked this one for its masculine cut to contrast it's ornamentation.





It's interesting how life seems to be a constant balance between different tensions. We need to stay active to develop, but it's in resting that we grow and are able to process what we've learned. It's necessary to have self-discipline to manage pushing through any obstacle, yet a healthy and strong heart needs attention and nourishment as well. We have to fail to learn how to succeed. I believe in good and bad, but sometimes that line isn't clean-cut and different shades of grey are present.

As a black and white kind of person I often find myself in the extremes. If my project has been making a change to my lifestyle and health, I've went on a three month no sugar, no dairy, no gluten diet (which actually did make an incredible difference to my health), gone to the gym five times a week and made sure I eat all the super food possible daily. If it's been about learning to prioritise and use my time wisely, I've scheduled precisely every minute of the day for the week ahead. If I've wanted to re-decorate our home a little, I've ended up throwing everything old away and changing the whole interior completely. I also happen to like sprints. But life is more like a marathon and it's simply impossible to sprint for long distances.

I've had to learn how to accept the greys. I won't always succeed and staying on a very restrictive diet for the rest of my life, honestly, would only make my heart grow bitter. But I guess I've been afraid that if I don't go all the way, I won't make it. Whatever "it" is at the moment. When in reality that kind of thinking has kept me in a cycle where I've quickly burned out my energy and focus, and have been left gathering myself after failing at meeting the unrealistic standards I've set for myself. Being kind and patient with myself and re-evaluating what success and failure mean to me has actually led me much further than those short spurts ever did. It's ok to get everything done very well one week and have a few set backs the next. If you are able to stay focused, hopeful and moving, you're still succeeding! It's easy to get lost in what is going on right now or recently, but we also need to keep in mind the big picture. We have our whole lives to live and even though it's important to be intentional at all times, I've stopped beating myself up, because todays "failure" might bring forth tomorrows strength.



xxx



Photos by Adriana Dobrin
Embellished sweater: Nordstrom
Denim skirt: American apparel 
Tights: H&M
Booties: Ralph Lauren
Handbag: Calvin Klein

4 comments:

  1. Precisely the same season I am in.. So good Su!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nells! Not an easy season, but in the end very fruitful.

      Delete
  2. Good word, it's encouraging to know we can grow at all times. Great photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louis! Yes it is. I honestly think that every season we're in, we're positioned to grow and learn if we just keep our eyes and hearts open :)

      Delete