9/10/2014

Dreaming of Santorini


Oh Santorini…on these grey and rainy days, I think of your rich blue sea and wondrous sunsets, where light slowly embraced the horizon and sunk into the ocean dressed in fire. My mouth waters at the thought of your bountiful cuisine, the fresh produce of a well nurtured soil. How alive I felt, driving down your mountains, feeling the sweet summer breeze ease the heat, jumping off cliffs into clear waters and holding his hand in mine all along…

No, I'm not exaggerating. This trip was one that makes me want to write poems. It came at the right moment, providing exactly what my heart needed at that time. Carefree days, beauty in all its forms and most importantly quality time with my love.
I used to be the person who constantly needed to be on the move and dreaded the days when I had to come back home. Don't get me wrong, I still love traveling and it will always stay a high priority in my life, but it was more a way of escaping not only external circumstances but internal as well. It's easier to be my happy, peaceful and fully alive self when detached from all the triggers everyday life presents. Of course it's important to take breaks from our routines, but the good life shouldn't be the few weeks of the year in some far away paradise (or some distant dream filled with "If only"'s). Real happiness springs forth from learning to thrive in all situations and circumstances.

Last night I went for a run after too many gymless days and the moment I stepped out it started raining cats and dogs. Instead of making it an excuse and hide away at home, I embraced it's refreshing invitation and ended up having one of the best workouts, for my body and soul. With every step I took my heart grew more joyful and I must have looked like a complete lunatic running in the pouring rain with a wide grin on my face. But with every step I was breathing in the cold air, feeling the ground under my feet and the heavy rain on my skin and I felt so alive…thats when I realised. This is how I am meant to feel during life's rainy and gloomy days. I have the choice. Am I going to bury myself into my comfort zone, complaining about my circumstances or am I going to dance and run in the rain?
I believe that every situation we face has the potential of either becoming a poor waste of time or a growing experience. And the choice is ours to make. This doesn't mean pretending not to feel the heaviness of those seasons and putting on a mask, but instead of focusing and pouring all energy into the negative, deciding to look for the diamonds and treasures hidden along the way.
Instead of letting the darkness cover into it's hopelessness, creating cracks of light by thankfulness and a focus on the truth. We breathe. We feel. We are alive. And what are lives will be, is shaped by our decisions.



xxx



Photos by me and mi hombre
Editing: Eino Manner

No comments:

Post a Comment