2/12/2015

Spring Will Come




Picking out this outfit I felt like I wanted to rebel. Rebel against the endlessly grey weather with its "freezing drizzle" (that was the name for the day on my weather app when we took these pics), rebel against the all black outfits I've slid into and make a declaration: Spring will come. For now it's only in my heart, but soon I'll be hearing those birds sing and feel the sun on my skin. As I was walking against an insanely strong wind that numbed my face and limbs, I had a moment of realisation. Surviving these cold and dark winter months with a joyful and positive attitude makes me strong. For those of you who have always lived in a sunshine state this might sound foreign, but the concept in general is that when things that keep you in your comfort zone are taken away, you have to learn new ways of living and it's exactly those moments and seasons that build us up like no other. The past fall and winter have been very challenging. A lot of some previously self-evident comforts have been pulled away and at times I've felt on the edge of things. But in the midst of it all I've had the chance to learn…learn how to stand still when the storms are raging. How to abide in peace when nothing seems to go as planned. How to rejoice even before the tide turns. 

We are often taught to avoid pain, risks and anything that might shake our serenity. Obviously there's no point in throwing yourself under a bus (please never do that), but there are seasons in our lives where if we want to go further and grow, we have to walk towards the pain and make choices that won't have a guaranteed happy ending. I've learned that when I'm feeling pain, instead of numbing it with a busy schedule or mindless TV, it usually is an opportunity for me to develop. The most painful and scariest things in my life have turned into the most fruitful, if I've allowed myself to walk through the process. My attitude is what defines wether these seasons of adversities become a discouragement, slowing me down or a new strength, releasing new life inside of me. We can read countless stories of successful people who had to walk through fire to get to where they are now. I don't think that's a coincidence. It's those very moments that prepared them for what was ahead. 
If you feel like you're walking through fire at the moment, don't give up. This is your moment to dig a deeper well and learn to live from the inside out. This problem in front of you is basically your next upgrade. Don't let the way things seem pull you under, but make your declaration, whatever that looks like for you, that spring will come. 



xxx



Photos by Adriana Dobrin

Dress: H&M
Down Jacket: Lindex
Beanie: Carhartt
Shoes: Ralph Lauren
Crossbody: Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment