2/16/2015

Music Monday

Valentines Day came and went, bringing me a lot of thoughts to ponder on. In Finland Valentines Day is not really celebrated as the day of lovers but of friends and even the name of the day is Friendship Day. Our Valentines Day was different this year due to sudden changes of plans. Flowers, gifts and special date arrangements are all wonderful and I'm definitely one who loves to be spoiled with my husband pursuing me. Having a break from the ordinary is something we all need from time to time, but yesterday led me to meditate on what love is really about.
I stumbled upon this quote: "How do you love when love is not returned? Real love doesn't look for a return. It loves for the sheer sake of loving…" We all have the need to be loved and being in relationships where those needs are never met isn't healthy, but the essence of love is exactly this; to lay ones life for another. The past years in our marriage I've began to realise that instead of making sure that my needs are met, I've shifted the focus on making sure that I'm loving my husband well. Obviously I still communicate my needs clearly, but whether those needs are met or not, there's never an excuse for me to turn off my love for him. I'm lucky to have a man with the greatest and sweetest heart I know and loving him is my privilege. Getting to the point of loving for the sheer sake of loving and really not expecting anything in return is something I'm still learning, but the shift it brings to a relationship is very real. As I've stated before, love is the most powerful force in this world, but to get to dive into it and experience it in all it's fullness requires sacrifice and vulnerability. Sacrifice in letting go of selfishness and vulnerability in opening up to other person and giving the greatest gift, love, even with the risk of not getting it in return. But the reward far overweighs the cost.

I think I could go on forever with this subject and I know I'll never stop writing about it, but to get you to hear todays song I'll have stop at some point. :) Todays pick is old school and goes well with the subject. Aaliyah had the chance to only put out two albums, but both of them have been on a constant rotation on my playlists. I love this song because of it's simplicity and her silky smooth vocals. It really is the perfect love song for any date night. And now it's finally time for you to get to enjoy it as well!



xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment