7/31/2014

The Inside Job


This is probably one of my favourite outfits I bought on my trip to New York last month. My friend spotted these jeans on a sales rack and they ended up being the perfect mom jeans. The loose bottoms were a prime match with my crop top and voilá, here comes the 90's!



This leather tote has been my bestie during this heat wave we've been experiencing. It fits my beach attire and all the necessities, while looking slick and chic and pairing with any outfit.





My skin has always been super sensitive, just like the rest of me. I always tried to get it under control with whatever seemed to be trending as the solution and I don't even want to count how much money I put into all the different products that were supposed to transform my skin into peachy perfection. A few years ago my digestion got out of control (I always had a sensitive stomach and I literally put all the symptoms under that; over sensitivity) and I searched for help everywhere. My doctor did a few tests and ended up basically saying that I didn't have anything, which obviously only made me fall into deeper despair. Instead of just living with "nothing", I began to research and came across all kinds of information. What seemed to be a common thread everywhere was that dairy, gluten and sugar are highly allergenic and sensitizing to the body. I had already lessened my dairy intake while living in the States (simply because I disliked their dairy products), but the combo of these three felt impossible to conquer. After living six months with my digestion basically hating me, I was ready to take the task and ended up living without that trinity for three months. After a few weeks I noticed my skin clearing up and for the first time I had a first hand experience of how what you eat actually affects everything, head to toe! The same revelation came to me when a few weeks ago I accidentally ate gluten and my skin radically changed for the worse and I'm still healing from it.

It made me think of how many times in life I've done that exact same mistake of thinking that by treating the symptoms they will disappear. In my unhappiness I've shopped online or  to ease the pain. When feeling anxious or stressed out I've opted for a distracting movie or comfort food, instead of figuring out what is actually causing my distress. While being frustrated I've immersed myself into work just to numb that feeling. All those things made me temporarily feel better, but because they don't deal with the root of the issue, I've found myself in this circle of avoiding what's really going on on the inside and basically waisting my precious time by doing so. It is uncomfortable and even painful to confront what's causing the uneasiness in my heart, but it's the only way to maturity and a truly free and powerful me. By listening to my heart and really stopping when everything hasn't been ok, I've come to find the roots to my insecurities, fears and lies that have been holding me back from being the person I really was created to be.

It can seem unproductive to take care of your heart, but that's where everything you do flows from. Wether it's a bad habit, overweight or laziness you want to get rid off, you can usually find the real cause hidden under all the symptoms, deep in your heart. It takes courage to walk toward the pain instead of avoiding it, but the freedom that follows will make it worth it all.



xxx



Photos by Adriana Dobrin
Crop top: Urban Outfitters
Jeans: Topshop
Sneakers: Nike Air Max
Leather Tote: Zara

No comments:

Post a Comment