12/15/2014

Music Mondays

A week has gone by and it seems like I'm stuck with an seemingly unrelenting flu. You would think that after a week of lying in bed (and couch, and floor..), watching movies, reading and eating a lot of dark chocolate (because it apparently is the best remedy for a bad cough) would have me back on my feet already, but I guess the odds are against me this time.

Instead of continuing with my whining, I rather try take up a topic that can too easily come off as bland because of all the pep talks going around on every Instagram account. My subject is none other than thankfulness. But here's the deal: I don't mean the "think about how much better you're off than a lot of children in third world countries", because lets be honest…many of us have discovered that having a roof over your head and food in your fridge does make life a whole lot easier and yet doesn't seem to bring any real happiness. Yes, all the material things we have are not to be taken for granted but there's a reason why Finland, probably one of the best well off countries in the world, has extremely high depression and suicide rates. Material doesn't seem to be the cure for our upset hearts. So why thankfulness? Let me just say, that there's some kind of rule of nature, that it takes a lot of hard work to depress a thankful heart. I want to take us deeper because I just don't like being thankful by comparing (it's still comparing! I'm better off than my neighbour. Yay? Not.). For example, my heart really starts to fill up with hope and joy when I think about how my mother broke out of deep sorrow and turned her whole life around or when we got to spend two life changing years in beautiful California. It's those moments where prayers were answered and things fell into place in unimaginable ways. When our car broke down and someone sold us one for almost no money a few days later. Or when I found the man who really loves me and not just body, just like Alicia here. I literally started writing a list of my history of blessings and even though I'm deep under covers and sheets, my mind began to soar.


If your man hasn't come along yet, make up your own words and sing about what hopeless situation turned around for you? If you don't feel convinced just do me a favour and pick any moment in your life where it felt like even a small beam of sun shone through those clouds and meditate on it for a couple minutes. That's not too much asked, right? If you need a boost, this beat and Myers sultry voice lifts my spirit up every time I need that extra kick and I can't imagine it doing anything less for you. Happy Thankful Monday everyone!!



xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment