5/14/2015

High and Low




The older I get, the more I realise how much life is about layers and seasons. When I turned eighteen I thought I had arrived (lol), when I was twenty-one I realised what a baby I was at eighteen, but definitely was so much further now (haha). Now, at twenty-five, I feel like stepping back into kids shoes again. Sure, I've walked through some rough terrains, build some muscle along the way and I'm more at peace now than ever in my life, but life has no cap for the amount we can grow. So unless we're able to keep the attitude of a child, mesmerised by life and willing to humbly receive teaching and guidance, we will miss out on the glory reserved for us. 

That's really where I've been this week. I've had some pretty major frustration with why certain things seem so ridiculously hard to get over, like I'm bumping my head on that same brick wall over and over again. Actually walking into one of those really clean sliding doors, thinking that it's open when it's not, is the perfect image of how I've felt. Then a good friend sent me a speech that was exactly what I needed to hear with the speaker saying:
 "When you climb mountains you can't jump from one peak to another. You have to go down low, back to the valley, to be able to move on to the next one."
 First of all, I love how this goes so well with my dearly beloved mountain metaphors. But all in all it was exactly what I needed to be reminded of. I can't even count how many times I've gone through the thought process of "Oh now I got this/I've mastered this/I've conquered this", thinking the learning was over and I had graduated. When in reality I only graduated level one, pushing me into the oh so unfamiliar level two where I once again have to face the fact that I'm back to being a newbie. At times it's frustrating. It feels hard. It's humbling...yes, it's very humbling. But it's what keeps me grounded, building the strength and stamina that I need for longevity and staying persistent.  It's the humbleness that keeps me from trying to push through any closed door, but instead be patient and focus on what I really need to work on, my heart.

We'll never "arrive". If you think you have, my friend, you are missing out on a whole lot! Even when you reach that dream of yours, however big and wonderful it is, you'll gaze your eyes on the next mountain peak and start the journey all over again. Somewhere along the way we'll realise the importance and value of the low valley seasons and we'll also be able to move through them much quicker when we're not dragging our heels the whole way. Life won't only be enjoyable for the moments were basking in success, but even the lowest seasons will become gems in our crowns.



xxx



Photos by Eino Manner

Romper: Vintage
Shirt: COS
Trench Coat: TopShop
Kneesocks: BikBok
Booties: Zara
Bag: Michael Kors
Sunglasses: Michael Kors

4 comments: