11/06/2014

Grace Jones and Super Humans




I really just want to make one point today, but I need a few sentences to explain it.
Because I was such a troubled and insecure teenager, I grew up seeing successful, genuinely joyful, multitasking power houses as super humans. Kind of like in comics (which I'm a huge fan of) where these special people had received their powers from some gene mutation or alien parents and were destined to save the world (or to take over it). So growing up, bound by my lack of confidence, I came to the conclusion that I just missed the gene that could make me fly, figuratively speaking of course... I was tortured with the dreams I hid in my heart, because I felt like they were completely impossible to achieve. Ever. What was taking place was that my fears and adversities became my identity.

Someone wiser than me once said that our actions don't actually define us, but they do reveal us. For example, I don't think we're inherently lazy or unproductive, but when someone's waisting their whole life laying on a couch or stuck at a job they hate, it reveals that somewhere along the way they have lost sense of their true identity. Getting to the root and dealing with it, is what's going to open the doors to a fulfilled life. Obviously we're all gifted in different areas. We all have natural talents that we've been strong at since we can remember, but our upbringing and the environment during our developmental years often defines our core values and inner world, leaving a mark on how we perceive life. I have never met a healthy child, that didn't dream big and believed that they could do anything they put their mind on. I'm arriving at my one point now, so bear with me… those super humans are actually just regular humans, like you and me. The only difference being that while growing up they didn't unlearn the valuable trait of knowing who they are and what they are capable of. They experience the same fears, anxieties and negative thoughts just like everyone else, but they know those feelings don't define them. They've learned to not perceive them as their own, but as visiting negativites that they have the power to say no to. The same power we all possess. You might have lost yours in a traumatic event, stressful situation or unloving home, but it's never too late to take hold of it again. Yes, all those who have pursued their dreams since age seven might be ahead in the game, but I'm not letting that discourage me. My story will be filled with character and such a great overcoming story that I can't even wait to share it with my grandchildren... What is your story going to look like?



xxx



Photos by Eino Manner
Sweatshirt: Ted's Draws
Romper: Vintage
Wool coat: Ajatar
Shoes: Wolverine
Bag: Calvin Klein

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your words! Its the way you said. We should be brave to use those gifts that God has given. <3 Lots of beautiful things to your November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hanna-Mari! Beautiful winter wished to you too :)

      Delete
  2. Once again another inspiring text from you. Love to read it. Our actions and words show who we are.

    ReplyDelete